This was the cover art for the CONvergence 2013 Souvenir Program Guide. Years ago I had drawn the CONvergence mascot Connie as all 10 of the Doctors from Doctor Who. Now as Matt Smith is preparing to leave the show, I still hadn’t had the occasion to add the 11th Doctor to that series. Clearly, this was the time! I arranged Connie as the Eleven Doctors into a clock face around the Seal of Rassilon, with Connie’s creator Professor Max in the #12 position. Will Professor Max be the 12th Doctor? Time will tell…
We had a new system for badges this year, with pre-printed plastic badges in a horizontal format, rather than laminating paper badges designed in a vertical format. The best outcome of this is that the badges now are friendly to the Badge Ribbon tradition popular at Gallifrey One and other conventions! Of course, this badge shape creates some interesting challenges for badge art. Here’s what I came up with for CONvergence 2013!
Connie as the Conductor from Thomas the Tank Engine
Connie as Harry Potter
Connie Mark 2 as Number Two from The Prisoner
Professor Max as Rose Tyler, Connie as… apparently SEVERAL of the Doctors, and Connie Mark 2 as a Cyberman
CVG 2013 Ad
CVG 2013 Ad – Key
If you were at CONvergence last weekend, you probably saw this promotional art for next year’s convention and it’s British Invasion theme. I wanted to post a key to the references it contains for those that might not have gotten all of them.
- Connie as Emma Peel from The Avengers
- Professor Max as John Steed from The Avengers
- Connie Mark 2 as Nathan from Misfits
- That Smiley Planet Guy from Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
- God from Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- The Liberator from Blake’s 7
- Starbug from Red Dwarf
- Harry Potter from… uh… Harry Potter
- An alien walker from John Christopher’s Tripods
- Thunderbird 1 from Gerry Anderson’s Thunderbirds
- The TARDIS from Doctor Who
- Graffiti from V for Vendetta
- A Triffid from Day of the Triffids
Not numbered, but visible in the background: The London Eye, Big Ben, and a Double-Decker London bus.
I considered adding a reference to The Prisoner or Sherlock Holmes or James Bond… but I didn’t want to over-clutter it. There’s a whole year ahead to reference the works of H.G. Welles, Sapphire and Steel, 28 Days Later, Quatermass…